Koikatu: Technical Help
all characters are at least 18
FAQ & Technical Help
Most commonly asked questions and their answers, search for keywords to find your issue quickly. These FAQs have been in large part taken from the Koikatsu Discord server (with permission). If your question isn't answered here or you can't seem to fix your issue, visit the #help channel on the server. Note that if you just want to get the game working it might be easiest to install HF Patch (search below for more info).
If you have found an answer to your question and it is missing from here, please consider adding it! You can do it by clicking on the "Edit" tab in the top right part of the page.
- Q : Where can I buy the game?
A : The game is available in English on Steam (no DLC): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073440/__Koikatsu_Party/
The Japanese release with all DLC included can be bought here: https://www.illu-member.jp/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=183
- Q : What is the difference between the Steam and original Japanese releases?
A : The original Japanese release is called Koikatu! and is only intended for the Japanese market. Steam release is called Koikatsu Party (KKP) and is very similar to the Japanese version pre-darkness (assuming that the Special Patch that unlocks features is installed). All Japanese DLC older than Darkness and Yoyaku can all be installed to the English version (only abdata folder has to be copied, and when asked to replace files you should select No to all).
- Q : What is Paid DLC? Where to download it?
A : Paid DLC, refers to expansion packs that have to be bought separately. There are currently two expansion available for purchase: Additional personality summer expansion (adds 3 new personalities and some clothes) and After School expansion DLC (it adds new features like new dating system and 3P sex). So far the expansions have no been localized. They can be bought here https://www.illu-member.jp/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=199 and here https://www.illu-member.jp/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=192
- Q : Can I install Japanese paid DLC to the Steam version?
A : All Japanese DLC older than Darkness and Yoyaku can all be installed to the English version (only abdata folder has to be copied, and when asked to replace files you should select No to all).
- Q : Where to download the latest update, dlc, mods and translations?
A : You can use HF patch here : https://github.com/ManlyMarco/KK-HF_Patch (for downloads click on the "Releases" tab, DO NOT click the green Clone or download button!).
- Q : I am trying to install the HF patch, but I have a bunch of files. Which of them do I use?
A : None of them. You may have clicked the green button and downloaded the source files and not the actual program. HF Patch is an executable and can be found by following the mega link on this page here: https://github.com/ManlyMarco/KK-HF_Patch/releases
- Q : What's the difference between All in One (AIO) update & DLC pack, and HF Patch?
A : AIO is drag/drop, contains the updates + default bepinex/plugins + translation. HF patch is more involved install wizard that contains AIO and has more plugins + more mods. It can also automatically fix a lot of broken game/mod installations.
- Q : My game is broken/won't run, what do I do?
A : Try installing HF Patch, if that doesn't help ask in #help on the Discord server.
- Q : What order do I install these DLC updates in?
A : Assuming you're up-to-date beforehand (if you had the HF patch 2.1 not newer) you install the Paid DLC first, then the Xmas update or Anon11 AlO DLC Pack.
- Q : How do I actually install these updates?
A : Unpacking the paid DLC (the afterschool DLC) must be done in Japanese locale, either by setting your machine to it, or via a locale emulator. Unpacking the Xmas update should work in any locale. Once unpacked, you should see a folder named setup. Copy and paste the contents of the setup folder over your game folder, and overwrite.
- Q : What is a koisona?
A : Koisona commonly refers to the koikatsu persona for any given member of the Koikatsu Discord server. In other words, yourself made in the game.
- Q : Can I run Koikatsu in Windows XP?
A : No, Koikatsu will only runs on Windows 7 and above due to the use of DirectX 11 graphics API.
- Q : Can I run Koikatsu on the 32-bit Windows?
A : No, Koikatsu will only work on the 64-bit version of Windows. If you have a 64-bit processor but are running the 32-bit version of Windows, it is highly recommended you switch to 64-bit Windows.
- Q : Can I run Koikatsu on Windows 10?
A : Yes, it can run on Windows 10, without any locale emulator at all.
- Q : Does Koikatsu require Steam to be running or the game DVD image to be inserted in order to play?
A : No, Koikatsu doesn't have any DRM so you can play the game without Steam started or the DVD inserted.
- Q : What engine does Koikatu run on?
A : Koikatu uses Unity 3D game engine v5.6.2 (instead of Illusion's depreciated Yayoi engine).
- Q : How to change the game resolution or make the game full-screen?
A : Open up the launcher (Initial Settings.exe or InitSetting.exe), there should be a dropdown to change your resolution and an option to run in full-screen. You can also toggle full-screen in-game by pressing Alt+Enter.
- Q : Does it supports lower than 1280x720 for full-screen?
A : Yes, as long as your Graphics Card supports widescreen with a lower resolution (e.g. 640x400) however you will need to edit manually setup.xml file located under the UserData folder in your game directory, otherwise you will have to opt into windowed mode. To Enable windowed mode, uncheck the box just below the resolution dropdown
- Q : The game won't launch with WINE on Linux, what do I do?
A : Run Koikatu.exe directly instead of a launcher.
- Q : The game runs in WINE, but no mods/translations will load. How do I fix it?
A : Run 'winecfg' in a terminal. Select the Libraries tab. Under "New override for library:" type or select "winhttp (native,bulitin)". Add it, and hit Apply & OK.
- Q : Gray boxes are missing text/are empty when the game is run with WINE, how do I fix it?
A : Run 'winetricks corefonts' in a terminal. You need to have winetricks installed.
Main game / Character maker FAQS
To check In game Manual, Press F5. It covers a lot of the gameplay.
- Q : How do I save the game?
A : You can save the game at the end of each day in your room, and only there.
- Q : How do I end the day quickly?
A : Press Middle mouse Button and click Home Icon to end the day and go to your room.
- Q : Where do I place character cards?
A : Koikatsu\Userdata\Chara\male or female
- Q : Where can I get new cards?
A : Visit #card-sharing on the Koikatsu Discord server. Outside of the server, try https://kenzato.uk/booru and https://illusioncards.booru.org/
- Q : Why I can't connect to the servers to check out/download characters through ingame menus?
A : The official server blocks non JP ips. There was a mirror server for westerners, but it's been down for months now, most likely forever.
- Q : My maker starts very slowly!
A : Normally it varies between PC specs too, can took around 40-50 secs for average PC. Make sure you run the latest bepinex and bepisplugin, also check if you don't have too many cards in the root of character folders as it is also has impact in maker load times. You can put them in subfolders instead and use the browser folders plugin found here : https://github.com/ManlyMarco/KK_BrowserFolders/releases . Putting the game on SSD will also help to cut the load time a bit.
- Q : The card I downloaded isn't loaded correctly?
A : This usually means you don't have the correct mods for the card, it's hard to determine which mods the creator use so to save your time you can download either latest HF Patch (link above). Alternatively, you can manually install the Anon11's Sideloader Modpack and latest KK_GUID Migration (refer to Modding FAQs below for more info for installing mods manually). If after updating the card still does not load correctly it might have been made in old version of the game or with conflicting hardmods. In either case you will most likely need to fix the card yourself in character maker.
- Q : How do I take a screenshot?
A : Take a screenshot with background by using F9, and a transparent background shot with F11. To change the settings for better screenshots and see more features search for "Screenshot" in Plugin settings window (press F1). Screenshots are by default created inside \Userdata\cap
- Q : My card/scene isn't loading, what should I do?
A : Check to see if the card/scene you are using is a .png and about the same size as the cards/scenes you have that do load. If it has a logo, it is most likely a screenshot. Make sure you have your game updated to the latest version too.
- Q : The character I downloaded has really high/low voice pitch, what happened?
A : This could mean the card is created before slider unlocker was fixed for voice pitches outside of 0-100 range People put the sliders outside of the range but before the actual value was clipped to the normal range, now it works "as expected"
- Q : My character's skirt is acting in character maker (boxy/sticking out corners)! Is this normal?
A : Unfortunately, that is normal behavior when you set your character hips slider too thin, (usually below 0), you need to figure out how to avoid such limitation yourselves, like making your characters wear pants instead, it's nothing we can do.
- Q : How can I change the height of my male character?
A : There is no way to change the male height without using ManlyMarco's ABMX plugin, but be advised that changing male height commonly leads to breaking certain animations.
- Q : My game crashes every time this cutscene finishes/at the same point at the start of the day!
A : Certain badly configured mods don't handle loading into cutscenes properly and will crash the game. Get KK_CutscenelockupFix from https://github.com/DeathWeasel1337/KK_Plugins
- Q : My game freezes whenever I add certain girls to my class. What's causing it?
A : This is probably caused by the girls using a modded personality. These modded personalities can only be used in Free H, and will break the story mode. You can get Anon11's KK_PersonalityCorrector plugin to prevent this (by swapping those personalities to the Pure personality for the story) from here: https://github.com/DeathWeasel1337/KK_Plugins
- Q : My menu UI is messed up, what do I do?
A : It might be time to update your UI translation. Check the pastebin for an updated UI translations if experiencing this issue : https://pastebin.com/SzSz1yZ
- Q : Why is the translation so poor? / Why did the translation get so bad all of a sudden?
A : The vast majority of the translation is done automatically through Google translate, rather than a human.
- Q : How do I unlock all the H animations without having to play the game?
A : Download keelhauled's plugins here and obtain the UnlockHPositions.dll for your bepinEx folder: https://github.com/Keelhauled/KoikatuPlugins/releases
- Q : How do I access the new date locations?
A : These locations will unlock after multiple regular dates beforehand. Once they do, continue to raise your affection stats by using the new locations, and inviting the girl home/to a hotel afterwards. More locations will unlock the higher your affection gets - and at higher affection, each location has a love event. Trigger all 4 love event to unlock the church.
- Q : How do I access 3P?
A : Both girls must be in lewd state or higher. Begin H with one girl while the other is in the same room. The option will appear in the bottom left. Alternatively, you can find two girls engaged in lesbian sex and ask to join in.
- Q : How to get nicknames for each other?
A : Spam Small Talk option while being a lover until you get the nicknames-giving chat. It's pure random chance.
- Q : Help! My waifu got upset, something to do with date? How to get her back to love me?
A : Spam Apologize option till her forgive you. And yes, you just left her beautifully dressed on Saturday for nothing.
- Q : I kept H her but I don't see her sex state changing from Unfamiliar/Inexperienced state?
A : Max out all her sensitive parts (chest, nipple, pussy teasing, vagina-piston, butt, anal teasing, anal-piston, service), she will instantly become a nympho. Familiar state is used when she is not horny (H<100) otherwise she went nympho.
- Q : Duh! I accidentally made my waifu refuse anal on creation and after I do a lot of grinding with her without knowing. Will she give up soon?
A : Don't worry, friend. Max out her other things beside anal teasing and anal penetration, after 1-2 periods or the next day, she'll let you do her anal play. But before you can penetrate her anal, you must max out anal teasing first. That way you will able to create your nympho waifu (who refuses anal play at first). Visit H Guide section.
Additional note: even if at first anal is not available, later on it will become selectable for caressing. After a few more H sessions it will become possible to insert as well.
- Q : How to grind fast for her sensitive parts?
A : Look for Special H locations (library, pool, rooftop) you can get her addicted fast without having her exhausted for each school period. Having her cum outside the special H locations counted as a total (4 cums in total), she will be exhausted and no longer feel horny in having "intimate relationship" thus receiving less exp on maxing the circles. You will still need to normally H her to grind for anal-piston, cumming together inside anal twice increase the anal-piston by 45%. With Afterschool update you can increase H exp gains at the bottom of the settings.
- Q : How to get quickly around the map? (e.g. avoiding horny girls)
A : Press F3 to instantly access any locations. With Afterschool update you can disable girls bothering thanks to new options at the bottom of the settings.
- Q : If I change her chest size (or butt, or fatness.., or height) while she's already in my class, will the dialogue change if she asks for her size?
A : Yes! It will change. Make sure to answer accordingly (I like it big for big chest.. etc.) Cherish! Banzai!
- Q : Sometimes this annoys me, How to maintain her Nympho state?
A : At least talk to her once in a school period, and cum a lot (cumming together once is a must), don't worry about making her tired, her nympho power is limitless*. The after-dialogue will guarantee maintains her horny state. Remember, after a total of 4 cums**, she won't feel horny anymore, so you can at least have sex twice in a school period (1-2 cums on first sex, infinite cums on second sex) with the intent on maintaining nympho state. But in some rare cases, cumming twice may decrease her horniness (.. so if you invite her home, don't hold back, fill her up in every nook and cranny). For extra caution, you can save up some chat interactions so you can interact with her later by touching her just in case her horniness drop. Also note, finishing activities together like lunch, study, exercise, and date will also lower their horniness by 1. (H=99) For more info about H, visit H Guide wiki section.
Additional note: If she initiates H question (Yes/No) without you talking to her at least once, accepting her invitation will result on losing her nympho state (H drops), this could be a bug in the game, an annoying one that is.
- additional note 2: If you closely listen to the girl's dialogue after cumming, you will get the gist if she wants more or not, sometimes 1 cum is enough to turn her on, but cumming a lot will always do the trick.
- additional note 3: the 4 cums total if she's the one who invites you.
Q : How to unlock all sex positions?
A : Different positions are unlocked in different ways. Here's what you can do to unlock positions:
- Max out all of the stats during H for a single character (F6 to check, at least one girl must have full 100% experience).
- Find H training spots (little pink heart icons scattered around the school) while a girl is following you.
- Increase your club rank by interacting, having H and adding new club members.
- Finish story events (yellow stars) for all 4 girls.
Alternatively you can cheat and use the UnlockHPositions or CheatTools plugin.
- Q : How to get a scene when they are having showers or taking a pee or masturbating?
A : The easiest way is to follow her. Girls will masturbate alone when they are feeling horny (H<100). Three types of masturbation, they can masturbate using the corner of a table, standing masturbation, and sitting masturbation. (What a lovely sight to behold upon!) More students = more chances to encounter them to do the manly tradition of peeking at girls.
- Q : How to make her do H with me in the morning?
A : First house visit is always a memo, second house visit she takes a shower, third house visit she wakes up with you, fourth house visit - you get what you want. A house visit before the weekend is always starts with H in the morning.
- Q : How to get close to the teachers? Do H with them?
A : When you spot a teacher in a school period, talk to her repeatedly until an event occurs (e.g. asking for a help to move things), it may or may not work provided that you talk to them each individually. Stop if it doesn't work after 10+ tries, try another teacher first, they may have something for you. Do this frequently you will do her eventually.
- Q : How to get the Yuri Scene? Girls go at it?
A : Much like masturbation, the girl needs to be horny (100% H) and one of them should have "I like Girls" trait for the scene to trigger. Follow the girl, if she enters a room, and another girl comes in, the yuri scene will be triggered. Some girls are going to be embarrassed when found out, so use that handy new update sneak button. (default is CTRL) Good luck.
- Q : How to get the Darkness MMF scene in story mode?
A : First of all, make sure you have all 3 parts of the Darkness expansion installed. Then go to the 3rd floor and look for the Darkness icon near one of the doors. Conditions for the icon to appear are: The girl has to have a supported personality and a relationsship with you, and she can't be a virgin. Supported personalities: typical schoolgirl, ojousama, pure, friendly, timid, humble.
- Q : Some of the clothes, accessories and hair don't appear in the game world, but they are there during one-on-one conversations and during h-scenes?
A : Make sure to enable showing of all accessories in game settings. If that doesn't help, try turning on high poly mode in plugin settings (needs the ForceHighPoly plugin). This can also be affected by async clothes loading and clothes persistence settings, try turning them off if the previous doesn't help. After changing any of these setting you have to restart the game to see the effects.
- Q : How do I uncensor the game?
A : Download KK_UncensorSelector from https://github.com/DeathWeasel1337/KK_Plugins#readme and make sure to carefully read the instructions. Once it's installed, you can select individual uncensors on a per-character basis in the character maker body tab, or select an uncensor (or random uncensor) for all characters to use in the F1 plugin settings. This is the best uncensor because you can choose the genitals as it fits to each character compared to the classic way to uncensor, which you need to choose one from some selections and be satisfied with it.
- Q : What are my options for uncensoring only one gender, or both at once? (Without Uncensor Selector)
A : A number of single gender uncensors are available for both genders, as well as a few that uncensor both at the same time. You cannot mix hardmod uncensors, but some sideloader uncensors are compatible with uncensors of the opposite gender. For instance, you can use the KK_LO pussy uncensor with the "whatsadick" dick uncensor, assuming both are sideloader.
- Q : Is it possible to make the dick match the body colour?
A : Yes, the dicks included with KK_UncensorSelector all match body color as well as the KoikPlugin uncensor.
- Q : Why does the dick stretch so strangely during animations?
A : Due to the way Illusion programmed the game, they didn't plan for it to ever be uncensored, so the underlying animations look weird when the censor is removed. The KoikPlugin uncensor and SoS dick avoid this to some extent.
- Q : How to make Futa?
A : KK_UncensorSelector allows you to select a female body for the male character in the character maker body tab or select a dick for a female character.
- Q : Where do I place zips and zipmods? How are they different from hard mods?
A : Zipmods, or any zip with a manifest.xml in it, are specifically for the use of the Sideloader, and belong in a mods folder in the game directory. Please create a mods folder if not already present, and do not extract zipmods unless you know what you are doing!
- Q : Where do I place plugins / dll files?
A : Plugins mostly go to the BepInEx\plugins folder inside your game directory. If you don't have it, you have to install BepInEx and BepisPlugins first. Some plugins (mostly from Japanese makers) might be made for IPA - an outdated mod launcher - and have to be placed inside BepInEx/IPA folder to work (create it if it doesn't exist). Usually the download page will mention if a plugin is for IPA, otherwise it's most likely a normal plugin.
- Q : Is there any recommended plugin? where do I get this useful plugin?
A : Yes you can check pastebin first here for list of plugins : https://pastebin.com/SzSz1yZt. At the moment, it's recommend to get mandatory core plugins that basically everyone uses to be able to load shared characters and scenes, which is : KKAPI (framework for modded UI), KKABMX, KSOX, MoreAccessories, KK_GUID_Migration, and KKPE. You can automatically install all of the recommended plugins and mods by getting HF Patch, which is recommended for beginners over manually installing separate mods.
- Q : Where do I put Overlays?
A : You don't need to put them anywhere specific (as long as they aren't in a .zip/rar etc). When you press load overlay, it will open a Windows Explorer window and you can navigate to the file yourself. Then, the overlay gets saved to the card data, so you don't need to keep a copy of the overlay after saving (unless you want to reuse it).
- Q : Is there a way to load male character on female maker or vice versa?
A : You can use Drag and Drop Plugin by Marco here : https://github.com/ManlyMarco/KoikatuDragAndDrop/releases. Drag a Male card from your windows explorer and drop it into the game while female maker is running, windowed mode recommended. The reverse is just the same process.
- Q : Where do I find the POV mod?
A : The PoV mod is found under the name of KK_HeadUtl. Grab the latest version and put it in the IPA folder of BepinEx. Use numpad 0 to use, you can find it here.
- Q : Why is KKVMDPlayPlugin not working?
A : Check if it is in the BepinEx folder, and that FaceData.txt and a vmd file are in the KKVMDPlayPlugin folder. It will not run otherwise.
- Q : I got a broken character shoulder in the Maker, How do I fix it?
A : This is caused by incompatibility of Stiletto and Keelhauled FixCompilation plugin. Press F1, go to Plugin Setting on top right, Disable the "Disable Maker IK" on there and restart the game. The newer Keelhauled FixCompilation will automatically disable Stiletto if detected.
- Q : I broken eyes with KKVMDPlayPlugin after updating the game?
A : This is caused by a bug in VMD plugin in versions not updated for Darkness/Yoyaku. To fix this go to your BepInEx/config.ini file, find the [VMDPlay] section, and change the CacheGagEyesTexture setting to False.
- Q : What is Studio/CharaStudio?
A : Studio/CharaStudio is a separated application from the main game that let you create a totally unrelated scene and get screenshot that you can't achieve in main games. You can pose your characters, create gundams, or whatever limited only to your imagination (and the game engine). Screenshot functionality is the same as the main game.
- Q : Where do I place scenes?
A : Koikatsu\Userdata\Studio\scene
- Q : Can I replace a character in scene with my character?
A : Yes, Choose the character you want to replace on the Work window on the right, and then choose the character you want as replacement on Add>Girl or Boy, and click Change Character
- Q : How do I make character dance/moving?
A : You can load a stock animation provided with the game by selecting the character first, go to Anim>Animations, and select one of them.
- Q : How do I create custom poses?
A : Choose the character first, and then you can turn on one of the two methods available on Anim>Kinematics>Forward Kinematic (FK) or Inverse Kinematics (IK). You'll see adjustable bone point and start working from there. IK is easier to control, but FK can get a better detailed result. you can work on both of them by using the Copy to FK/IK menu. You can instantly copy poses from current animation loaded with Animation Reference menu.
- Q : The scenes only contains items? Can I add that to my current scene?
A : Use Import Button menu instead of Load while loading scenes. It will add all object of chosen scene to the current work.
- Q : The initial graphic of Studio is bad!
A : This is because the default of the Studio setting somehow turned shadow density to 0. you can change it from System>Scene Effects>Shadow Density and see the difference immediately. There's alot of thing to tweak there too! Experiment with it for best results.
- Q : The scenes I loaded is static!
A : Most of them are, main studio purpose is to take screenshot. Only a few scenes are animated and it will need a lot more advanced skills to create one.
- Q : Is there any way to get characters out of scenes?
A : Yes, use the CharaReader program to extract them.
- Q : Where do I go for more comprehensive help?
A : If this FAQ has not provided you with the tools or information to help you help yourself and you have exhausted absolutely all your options, please feel free to bring your problems to #help channel on the Koikatsu Discord server. Have your output_log.txt file ready (it's in the game root if your game has recent mods, or in /Koikatu_Data/output_log.txt, if you have some technical knowledge you might be able to use to to get a clue what your problem is). There are also many guides available on the server in the #guides channel for many parts of the game, mods and modding.