RyonaRPG → Locations → Magicians Retreat
Core version: 140 (2018-10-26)
The Magicians' Retreat (魔術師の隠れ家) is an unranked difficulty dungeon in the Central Continent. It is unlocked by talking to the female mage on the second floor of Slave City Shrike's inn.
- This is a large dungeon comprised of one central dungeon and two separate smaller dungeons.
- There is a good & evil system in operation within the Magicians' Proving Grounds area. How far you are towards either determines one of the final rewards at the end of the entire dungeon; it may be worthwhile to make two different playthroughs of the dungeon if you desire rewards from both alignments.
- Taking the equipment from the women imprisoned within individual cells is considered evil.
- Throwing the collapsed woman off the narrow path in the ghost-infested dimensional zone is considered an atrocity.
- Taking the equipment of the dead (which brings up a prompt) aligns you towards evil.
The exterior map is filled with Ether and Potion-stealing bandits. Some areas can be accessed by having a Chain Flail acquired from the Undersea Temple. One of these areas is a cave to the northwest inhabited by an unkempt man. He tracks your good/evil alignment within the dungeon.
The former mages' hideout is to the southeast. Upon entering you will be trapped inside by bandits. Fight them until they give up and you will be able to leave. However to access more you need to check the bookshelf that has no books in it to reveal a hidden stairway leading to a magic circle with stairs in its center. The bandits will respawn and trap you every time you reenter the hideout.
The "Dead Wife Museum" may be found past a door to the southeast. The rest of the dungeon is covered under Magicians' Proving Grounds and Magicians' Proving Grounds, Depths.
Dead Wife Museum
- You can, and should, save the game at the diary immediately inside the museum since this dungeon is full of game over instant death traps.
- To proceed examine the painting with a door at the southwestern section of the area. Walking past the painting of you triggers a game over.
- In the next room with monsters and empty paintings you need to convince the monsters to return to the paintings with brute force. Once all the paintings have settled down two door paintings appear to the south. Enter the western door. (Check out the eastern door if you like for another game over.)
- Walk past the paintings into another room with a loose painting. The female image is capable of healing itself. Be careful of area attack spells and the lightning balls; the latter is particularly damaging and may kill you. Defeat it to reveal two doors; the western one leads back to the moving pictures gallery while the eastern one leads you to the room with two chests. Activate the lever inside the eastern room and attempt to leave.
- In the wax gallery some of the dolls are alive (you can tell if they turn to face you) and will hit you if you come close. They don't move so just run past them to the eastern exit. Alternatively you can kill them for some minor experience.
- In the doll prison you need to continue to the second screen and pull the lever in the room with the stone statues while avoiding the three obvious traps on the floor. Enter the open coffin in the first prison section and pull the lever there; if you didn't pull the previous lever first you'll trigger a game over before reaching it. Finally you can return to the wax gallery and pull the lever near the two flute dolls which will move the statues to the north. However should you try to proceed the statues will trap you and delta horse you into submission, ending the game.
- Instead go through a hidden door in the wall to the left of the lone statue.
- After the room with a save book, Prime Blue, and bookshelves full of information you find the boss of the dungeon.
- Once you beat the boss and enter the door you will find yourself back in the first area again.
Magicians' Proving Grounds
From your starting point, take the southern exit. The next area is a chamber filled with numerous slimes; to the southeast is a passage sealed by two pillars. To remove them you need to activate a switch and lever; the switch is in the room to the southwest. Then, take the eastern passage and follow it towards the stairs leading downward to the east. Past the cells you will find a lever.
The next area is an amorphous zone where rapidly moving spirits will constantly assault you. There is a Light Robe to be picked up on the eastern island area. Make your way to the southern exit where you will be forced into a boss battle with a red Tonberry.
The boss battle takes place in a watery arena; it may be advantageous to equip equipment that negates water penalties such as the Bubble Suit from the Undersea Temple. The Tonberry does a lot of damage and has a large amount of health, but has low defensive capabilities. Its movement speed fluctuates and it may become difficult to avoid it at its highest speed. Aside from its melee attacks the Tonberry also fires a special bullet which on impact triggers "Everyone's Grudge" which may kill you if you are also under a negative status effect.
On death he spawns a chest that contains mostly daggers:
- Urishu's Knife (Large Ax)
- Star Bringer
- Psycho Dagger (Dagger)
- Paracelsus' Dagger
- Critical Dagger (Dagger)
- Dagger of Glory (Dagger, (経宝))
- Holy Knife
- Throwing Dagger (Dagger, one is consumed per throw)
- Ripper's Knife (Dagger, 30% of damage done bounces)
- Main Gauche (Dagger, reduces physical attacks by 10% (disabled while attacking))
- Kunai (Dagger)
- Midnight Haze (Sword, 20% magic damage reduction)
- Thief's Dagger (Dagger, extra treasure)
- Mage Smasher [Dagger, double damage to enemy spellcasters)
- Silver Dagger
- Orichalcum (Dagger)
In the caverns area, head southwest past the saw chamber and access the next area by heading west to a dead end (the southernmost exit leads to a torture chamber and eventually to a lever that will raise the terrain in the large saw room). On the right is the exit marked by a slightly different wall border. In the next area, the trick is to expose the slimes in the passage to extremes of heat and cold several times by alternating the release of both until they can be destroyed by walking through them. Pressing the buttons in the first room will open the doors to the other two, releasing heat and cold respectively and periodically damaging you. The heat chamber has an Incandescent Bracelet that can be picked up.
There will be four sections of the passage to go through after that. In one of them is a woman who will invite you to follow her; if you accept she will trap you in the sewers and summon slimes to assault you before revealing herself (through damage inflicted on her) as a slime girl. Upon defeating everything in that encounter you will be swept away through the sewers where a ladder will allow you to climb back into the main area of the retreat.
Boss: Slime Woman
Instead, go past her to the very end where you will face the boss of the area. Defeat him but do not take the rope to the surface. Instead, head back to the slime girl (you will need to backtrack as walking into the passage will take you nearly back to the beginning of the passage itself) and fight her. Once you return to the main area via the sewers the Doll Factory sub-dungeon (the stairs blocked previously by a gate) will be accessible. Note that the western locked chamber in the area leading to the pillar-removing lever will be unlocked where you can find a Soul Jar 8.
Boss: Zombie Wizard
Magicians' Proving Grounds, Depths
This sub-dungeon is straightforward and leads to a room with friendly slugs and a save point. Further in do not step onto the circle with three seated dolls in it or you will trigger the possession bad ending. Defeat the boss in the last area to reach the final room where you will acquire a Prime Blue and Princess Dress. Touch the sparkling gem to return to the caverns section on its westernmost side surrounded by golems.